Advocaat is a liqueur from the Netherlands made by mixing egg yolks and alcohol. It’s often compared to eggnog but is much boozier. It’s a very simple drink to make and will last a couple of months in the fridge, so it’s a perfect Christmas gift.
Enjoy this rich liqueur, by itself, in baked goods, or as part of a cocktail like a bombardino calimero.
Advocaat / Dutch Egg Liqueur
- 10 egg yolks
- 250 grams sugar / 1 1/4 cups
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or 1 packet vanilla sugar
- 1 can 397g/14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 liter good quality vodka or brandy
- Add the egg yolks, sugar, nutmeg, vanilla, and sweetened condensed milk to a large mixing bowl. Whisk thoroughly to combine.
- Using an immersion blender, slowly pour the vodka into the egg mixture and blend until the sugar is fully dissolved. This may take a couple of minutes.
- Pour the Advocaat into air-tight bottles and store in the refrigerator for two weeks before using. Shake the bottles occasionally during the two weeks to make sure everything stays combined.